You don't need fancy equipment or the latest gadget to start a candle business. Most candle makers begin a candle making business in their homes; right in their kitchens.
Here is a list of the 10 pieces of equipment that you will need to gather in order to start a candle making business from your own home:
- Old pot - Every candle maker starts using the double boiler method, you will need an old pot that you don't use for food anymore.
- Metal pouring pitcher - This will be used to hold your wax and hold the melted wax; this pitcher will go in the water used in the old pot
- Thermometer - you'll need a thermometer to measure the temperature of your wax
- Small 5lb slab of wax - Do some research on the type of wax that you want to test and always buy samples before you begin buying in bulk
- Candle-safe containers - Decide whether you want to use glass vessels or candle tins; this is a preference and you should always test the vessels you want to use
- Wicks (buy sampler packs to start) - We suggest starting out with sampler packs so you can test your wicks
- Wick stickers - You will need wick stickers to hold the wicks in place
- Popsicle sticks with holes in the middle - Some candle makers use wick bars or other tools to stabalize and center their wicks; we found that using popsicle sticks with holes in the middle worked best for us
- Fragrance oil (1 oz samples) - Test your fragrance oils and always buy samples to test before buying in bulk
- Warning labels - You ALWAYS want to put a warning label on the bottom of your candles; this is a liability issue.